During 1672 a licence was granted to to Richard Stanborough allowing him to hold non conformist meetings at the cottage.



During the reign of Charles II non-conformists were in disfavour and were only allowed to meet in private houses under special licence. It is believed that this was one of only four in the area to host small meetings.
A proper meeting house was build during 1795 in Bridge Street.